Tuesday, September 30, 2008

With total credit to def poetry for awakening me

I sit in my room and go insane from silence
and you have seen me at those moments
and have stuck out your tongue and gone along with it
...
I am less acutely aware of all that I know as I am of all that I have yet to learn
I wasn't before you.
Before you I knew everything, now everything is new
Before you I stood in fields of yellow-white corn
self-assured, omniscient, young.
I challenged wind to footraces and goaded mountains into staring contests
and if at times I lost, it was 'cause I chose to
it was because I reasoned logically that it was better to
let God believe he had the edge than argue pointedly about the inner workings of infinity
and prove that he did not
then you run up to me and speak you mind
and suddenly, the sky tearing, I realize: I hadn't thought of that.
...
do not ask me if I love you
there is no need
simply read this poem
I will tell you, surely(shortly?), of my own free will, repeatedly, and often
so do not ask me why
there is no need
simply pick up this poem
and read.

No comments: